SCALP MICROPIGMENTATION VS HAIR TRANSPLANT
As humans as we grow older and our hormones change, our hair starts to thin out or fall off. All this also has to do with genetics, hormones, food, or stress but we would rather not go into the technical side of that. Some techniques have been found to get around this phenomenon. You wake up one day and you run your hand through your hair and uh oh!! Does your hair feel a little thinner than the last time you ran your hand through it? Or perhaps you are off to the barber, happy as always to go and get a new haircut and get him to shape your hairline, the type that would totally frame your face and make you look and feel good. But this last time you noticed that your hair line is not as pronounced as before, and it seems like it is starting to recede. Well, no worries it can be a little scary at first but to every problem there is a solution somewhere right? Then you go on to the internet (it probably has answers to every question out there), you research on and come across different methods of recovering your hair back. Some of them sound so far fetched and some others are convincing enough. Anyways you come across two that interest you right? Scalp micropigmentation vs hair transplant, well these here are what our focus would be on and what we are going to talk about. What exactly are these? What are their uses? Their benefits and the cost? You cannot just decide to go for a solution unless you fully understand what it is.
WHAT IS SCALP MICROPIGMENTATION?
Scalp micropigmentation is a non-surgical treatment or procedure that uses micro fine needles to insert natural pigments into the scalp. This is an ideal procedure for people with receding hairlines, bald spots, patches, and scars that were gotten from having the hair transplant procedure. It restores the look of a fuller hair by creating and replicating the appearance of tiny hair follicles which would make the hair look greater and fuller.
The practitioner would use pigmentation and proper equipment to copy the hair follicles and colour of the natural hair. It gives an illusion of real and thicker hair to the thinning or bald areas.
Note that this is a non-invasive and non-surgical treatment, this should be noted in case you do not want to go through the surgical means of hair restoration.
Scalp micropigmentation should be touched up every 3 to 6 years to maintain that natural appearance on it. It could also be called Micro pigmentation scalp, hair tattoo, hair pigmentation, head tattoo or scalp tattoo.
BENEFITS OF SCALP MICROPIGMENTATION
- This hair tattoo is non-invasive and requires no surgery so some people may be more comfortable using this method.
- It has been proven to be 100% effective and totally worth it as it replicates the look of real hair and most times no difference can be noted.
- After the procedure it does not require lots of maintenance since you go for touch up every 3 to 6 years depending on the desired results.
- It is not costly and is quite budget friendly.
- It can be used as a good way of camouflaging or concealing very visible scars on the head.
- It creates an illusion of a full head of hair if you have started thinning out or lost a lot of hair.
COST OF SCALP MICROPIGMENTATION
Depending on the experience of the practitioner and how much of the scalp needs to be covered the cost range could be somewhere between $2000 and $4000.
WHAT IS A HAIR TRANSPLANT?
This is quite different from scalp micropigmentation in the sense that while hair tattoo is used to give an illusion of hair, well hair transplant is a surgery in which hair that you already have is moved to fill a thin or bold spot on the head, by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.
This procedure takes place in the medical /doctors office after the back of the head has been injected with a numbing medicine to reduce the feel of pain, though some patients still complain of having pain during the procedure and some discomfort.
There are two techniques of transplanting of hair, and they include:
- Follicular unit transplantation (FUT).
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE).
FOLLICULAR UNIT TRANSPLANTATION (FUT)
This hair transplant technique is also called follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS).
- In this technique of hair transplant, the surgeon cuts out a 6 to 10 inch strip of scalp skin from the back of the head.
- That area is then sewed and closed with stitches.
- The surgeon then begins to separate and divide the portion of scalp that was removed into smaller units. The type of graft that you get depends on how small or big the treatment area is, the type of hair you have and the colour of your hair.
FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION (FUE)
- In follicular unit extraction the surgeon will shave and cut out from the back of the head, hair follicles in the area using thousands of tiny punch incisions.
- In the area of the scalp that is getting the hair transplant, the surgeon creates tiny holes with a needle or a scalpel.
- The surgeon and his team would transplant hair into the area.
- A bandage would be used to cover and protect the area.
This process usually takes about 4 to 8 hours, and the stitches get removed several days (mostly 10 days) after the surgery. And to get the full head of hair that you want, you may need 3 to 4 more sessions several months apart.
BENEFITS OF HAIR TRANSPLANT
- This procedure is a good way of eliminating baldness which would give you more confidence with your looks.
- It has a higher success rate than the other procedures which is why most people choose this treatment over others.
- Hair transplant surgery improves the appearance of a person.
- It requires low maintenance since it is like natural hair.
- This procedure looks more natural than other methods.
- Hair transplant treatment is cost effective.
RICK OF HAIR TRANSPLANT
- There could be inflammation or infection of the scalp or hair follicles.
- There have been cases of bleeding.
- This procedure could cause the scalp to swell.
- Hair transplant could bring about itching which would be uncomfortable.
- There is the chance of scarring on the head.
- It could cause the transplanted hair to temporarily fall off.
- Not enough donor hair to get good density on the transplanted area.
- Visible scars in donor area so cannot keep hair very short there.
COST OF HAIR TRANSPLANT
The cost of hair transplant would depend on the surgeon performing the surgery and the amount of hair you want to transplant. But most times it ranges between $5000 to $20,000.
Both methods are good depending on how you see it. So, like almost every procedure out there you must do your duty by researching and having an understanding of the different procedures. You choose which works for you and which of them you are more comfortable with. You can also visit a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist to discuss with on the different types and the best option for you.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCALP MICROPIGMENTATION VS HAIR TRANSPLANT
|Scalp micropigmentation VS Hair Transplant||Hair transplant|
|This method is a nonsurgical treatment.||Hair transplant requires surgery to transfer and plant the hair.|
|This procedure is less invasive.||It is a more invasive method which may be quite uncomfortable to some people.|
|This treatment is more budget friendly.||Hair transplant is more expensive.|
|This makes use of ink to replicate the appearance of hair on the head.||This basically transfers hair from one part of the head with hair to a part that does not have it.|
|No donor hair required.||Not enough donor hair can result in unsatisfactory results.|
|Immediate results in a few weeks||Long healing time and many months for hair to regrow.|